Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Maternal Fetal Medicine

Well, it has been 4 weeks since we last saw Dr. S. Can you believe it? Time is flying! Before you know it, these little ones will be here. It scares me to death. I loved our ultrasound technician today. She was very aware of our situation and was good to explain everything she was looking at. She even let me watch our little girl drink the amniotic fluid and stick her tongue out at us while I laughed and told Ryan, "Look, it's like she's real!" (Yes, I know she is real, but the more I see her, the more human she gets). She is getting so big too! She now weighs about 2 pounds 6 ounces. The little boy weighs 2 pounds even. He even looks way smaller than our daughter. He is still curled up into a little tiny ball in the bottom of my uterus. He's just chillin' out. According to the ultrasound, the due date for the girl is October 1st and the little boy is October 15th, so that just shows you he is about 2 weeks behind. We expect him to keep staying smaller than baby girl too. That's just what comes with trisomy 18.

We had a very good discussion today with Dr. S. I know I've mentioned it before, but he is absolutely amazing! I am so grateful to have such an amazing doctor taking care of us and our precious miracles. He even gave Ryan his wife's name and number so Ryan could call her and talk to her about being a nurse anesthetist. How many doctor's will do that for their patients?

Tomorrow I get to go see my regular OB and have the nasty glucose test done. Hopefully my blood sugar will be normal so I can continue my steady diet of sugar. I would go crazy if I ended up having gestational diabetes. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't have it.

3 comments:

Chris and Christina said...

I think they should just have you drink an orange fanta b/c it tastes so much better and probably has just as much sugar. Good luck with the appointment! And it was fun to see you at the parade!

callie.bottero said...

I really hope you don't have GD! I remember your mom had it with Nathan. Is that weird I remember that? LOL I had it with Lia, and it wasn't great. The first test isn't too bad. It's the 3 hour one that really bites. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Love Cal

Diana said...

Ew, that drink is awful. Literally.

But here's to your constant diet of sugar... you are in good company. ;)